Can alcohol cause behavioral changes and redness of eyes?
Possible causes of symptoms in 3 mins

Q. Can I give Disulfiram to my father who is an alcohol addict?

Answered by  
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically   reviewed by Dr. Lochana 

Education: MBBS., DPM

Professional Bio: Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi is a Psychiatrist with ten years of clinical experience. He specializes in treating patients with various mental illnesses like schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, sexual d... 

This doctor is not available for online consultations on the platform anymore.
Consult other doctors in the same speciality >>
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2021
Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My 45-year-old father is an alcohol addict. His weight is 80 kg, and his height is 175 cm. He has been consuming alcohol for the last two to three years. As a result, he has got behavioral changes, red eyes, and he always feels tired. I have found two medicines Disulfiram and Sulfur 200. Will you recommend I go for it, or should I give some other medication? Please guide me.

Answered by  Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi


Welcome to

I can understand your problem and situation. It is really hard for a family member to deal with this problem. Your father needs to get admission to a rehabilitation center or hospital under a psychiatrist for alcohol use disorder. You must not give any medication without informing your father. Disulfiram is a drug given to a patient who is highly motivated to leave his alcohol. If the patient is taking Disulfiram and consume alcohol on it, then it may lead to a various reaction like itching, perspiration, seizure, heart attack, and even death of the patient. So legally, if the patient takes Disulfiram, then legal written consent is taken about its side effect and death responsibility.

Please, you cannot de-addict anyone until the patient is ready for de-addiction. There is no medication in the world that will de-addict a patient without informing the patient. When the patient is actively involved in treatment, then and only de-addiction is possible.

So You must take your father to any nearest psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will start medication as per your father's alcohol intake and withdrawal symptoms. I hope this was helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Thank you for subscribing to our Newsletters!

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.