I had protected sex and have a fever and sore throat. Why?
Possible causes of symptoms in 3 mins

Q. Does having protected sex with a sex worker cause HIV infection?

Answered by  
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
and medically reviewed by   iCliniq medical review  team.


Professional Bio:

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra completed his MBBS from Karnatak University in 1996, a Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy, and an MD in Community Medicine from Rajiv Gandhi University of... 

This doctor is not available for online consultations on the platform anymore.
Consult other doctors in the same speciality >>
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2023 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2023
Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I recently have done sex with a massage girl in a parlor, it was the first time that I have done sex in my life. I am not married. The girl asked me to remove my clothes and she massaged me for a while. Then I kissed her in the mouth but for seconds only. Then licked her breasts and nipples more times. Then I just kissed her vagina and try to do oral but I stopped then. I fingered her but she stopped me as I had nails. Then she wore me a condom and I had sex with her but each time I have to take it and place it again and she came above me and did it. I ejaculated and she also cum on my penis with a condom. Then removed my condom and wiped it with a tissue and hugged me and slept for a while. After that day I got a fever, sore throat, and body pain maybe because of the massage. But I am afraid as she has got a lot of customers that if I got the HIV virus. I am having a fever the very next day and also I do not know whether she has got a disease or not. Please help me, am I at a risk? If yes, then what to do next?

Answered by  Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for the query. The chances of transmission of HIV by single-protected intercourse are almost nil if a condom is used properly. Symptoms are non-specific and can be due to any respiratory infection. Consult your doctor for examination and management. If it is less than 72 hours of exposure, you can consult your doctor for further risk assessment and the need for PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). If it is beyond 72 hours you can go for HIV tests now and after three months of exposure.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Thank you for subscribing to our Newsletters!

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.