I have pain in my upper tooth and a pus-filled boil on the gums. Please help.
Possible causes of symptoms in 3 mins

Q. What could be done to resolve a long-standing tooth infection?

Answered by  
Dr. Purva Jingar
and medically reviewed by   iCliniq medical review  team.

Education: BDS

Professional Bio: Dr. Purva Jingar is an experienced Dental Surgeon, Cosmetologist and Trichologist with seven years of clinical experience. She completed her BDS from NIMS Dental College in the year 2016 and has done ... 

This doctor is not available for online consultations on the platform anymore.
Consult other doctors in the same speciality >>
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2023
Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have a long-standing tooth infection in one of my upper teeth. I have attached an image of my X-ray taken last summer. I do not feel pain in the tooth itself, but a pus-filled boil appears whenever I touch the surrounding gum area, or when I shave, or use an interdental brush. However, biting on the tooth itself does not cause the pus-filled boil to form. As seen in the X-ray, there are two fillings in the tooth. I developed very severe sensitivity in that area to the extent that a dentist advised me to stop flossing in that area. Shortly after stopping flossing the sensitivity was relieved. This year I restarted regularly flossing on that side and thankfully the sensitivity has not re-occurred so far. Please advise me on what needs to be done about this chronic tooth infection. Can simply replacing the filling with a new material remove the chronic infection?

Thank you.

Answered by  Dr. Purva Jingar


I appreciate you signing up on icliniq.com.

You now have exclusive access to expert medical opinion.

I have reviewed your X-rays (attachments removed to protect the patient's privacy). They reveal a black area below the root of the tooth, which causes the infection and pus. I suggest you visit a dentist and get it treated with a root canal or removed. Removal might seem to be an easy option, but might not help you in the long run, as you need to get it replaced. Hence, a root canal is the best option, as this will actually preserve the natural structure of the tooth. But before going for any treatment, I suggest you make sure you are medically fit.

I am happy to help you and will always be available whenever you need me.

Thank you for choosing icliniq.com.

Was this answer helpful?

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Thank you for subscribing to our Newsletters!

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.